Monday, 16 June 2008

Round up of the semester and year

This opening year of the course hasn’t really been a good one. There are many areas in which I, and no doubt the rest of our class, think this course have failed in….so bath spa and Weston college listen up and please act upon this Blog entry.

• Studio fees - when we first enrolled at the college we were told we had to pay “studio fees” these “fees” came to £80. Now, what I’m wondering is, why do the media students have to pay an extra £30 more than the music student at the same college considering they regularly visit studios in Bristol and attend plenty of workshops. From our £80, all we’ve seen are a couple of measly blank DVDs and two DV tapes, for £80! Where are you buying these from? Marks and Spenser’s! Last year the students were given hard drives, what’s changed in this last year for us not to get one?
• Learning - I’m a bit disappointed, to say the least, with what we’re being taught. I don’t think we’ve really learnt much this year. We’re being given assignments and told to get on with them. The college hired in an “expert”, Sacha Atkinson (http://www.sacha.me.uk). He thought he was there to teach us new things on editing. Unfortunately our studio fees don’t cover that, so instead he’s just there to support us with our work and wear dodgy clothes. I think he would make a great teacher and we could learn a lot from him, which is what I thought university was all about in the first place.

I know I’m being hard but this course is costing me just over £3000 and I don’t think, so far, it’s been worth the money. Its not all doom and gloom, there are some positives to come out of this year. The people I’ve met on the course, teachers and students. The skills I’ve gained in editing. The things I’ve learnt about myself. I started the course looking to move on into a career behind the camera, but after some of the exercises we’ve taken part in, in class, I may choose to change the direction of my career path.
I’ve found it quite hard to concentrate on my work this year because I’ve been living from home which can get very distracting when I’m supposed to be getting on with work. Next year I’ll be living closer to the college and will be making a lot more effort on keeping on top of my work.

note: its come to my attention that this blog may have come across in the wrong way concerning our teacher Sacha. i dont a problem with him at all (apart from his choice in clothing) its quite the opposite, i enjoyed his lessons thoroughly! and think the college would do well to find more teachers like him!

1 comment:

Kim Brooke said...

You still need to add one more entry to reach the minimum of 9. Please do an evaluation of your own performance working both as an individual and as part of a team. This would focus on creative ideas, practical skills, personal skills, technical skills, both strengths and weaknesses. Observations and analysis in relation to both your experiences at college and your wider reading on the media industry with the correct referencing. Don't forget Blog entries should have links to other web sites, photos, logos & videos. Have a look at Keely's blog for an excellent example. You have an extension till 9am on Wed 18th to do this extra entry otherwise your mark for this assignment will be entered as a fail. You will then have until August 5th to resubmit your blog with a maximum of 40 marks available.