Thursday, 5 June 2008

Ice Mountain

This exercise was designed to improve our editing skills, using footage gathered from a Mercedes dealership. It was some sort of promotional competition which had media coverage in the form of Star FM. The competition was to guess how long it would take for a ring to melt out of a huge ice sculpture shaped like a mountain. Remembering the first semester I started on editing the audio. This was more time consuming but I think you could really tell in the final finished edit. Most of the audio was really pore quality so finding material I could use was a challenge.
The final piece was about 4-5 minutes. The structure was pretty straight forward. The sculpture starts as blocks of ice which then transform into the mountain itself, cutting too and throw from the DJ of Star FM.
I don’t really enjoy editing, sitting down for long periods of time makes my mind wonder off task. The editing process in any project, for me, does get easier as the piece begins to take shape. This is when editing becomes semi-enjoyable, you can add different effect, filters, and maybe music. Due to copy write laws we were unable to use music without the writer’s permission. Instead, I used a continuous, light hearted, beat that I created in soundtrack pro. This was used in the background of my piece.
I didn’t have high hopes for this project and didn’t think it served any purpose. Even though I didn’t feel like I had achieved anything, just watching some sculpture being made, my editing improved a lot through the process.

listen to star fm on http://www.star1077.co.uk/

1 comment:

Kim Brooke said...

A good description of the process. It is worrying to see you describe the exercise as worthless. The purpose of the exercise was to edit with sound and pictures. You could have put in logos form STAR, or links to their web site. This is what is required in a blog.