As always before filming, I was nervous. Nervous about not getting all the shots, nervous about getting in the way of the management or players, and most of all, nervous about what I looked liked to onlookers. I never get this nervous when playing. The day started early at East Budleigh’s recreational ground. I started filming the manager as he carried out his daily duties. I wasn’t too worried about getting in the managers way as he’s my dad. This meant that I could get him to do what ever I needed him to, anything from holding a pose to giving me the right answers to my questions. It was lucky he done these chores in the morning as it gave me time to go home after and fix the problems I was having with the crappy tripod. After sorting out the equipment, I made my way back to the football ground. It was a lot different now, people were starting to gather outside the clubhouse, asking me what I was up to. I wasn’t too rushed at this point, the only footage I needed were GV’s and cutaways. I got a bit of stick from the players as they came in because I was filming rather than playing. I think it would have been harder to film a team I wasn’t so familiar with, everyone involved in the club were very helpful with interviews and so on. When it came to the kick off, the heavens opened. There were puddles in the middle of the pitch. Obviously the camera wasn’t water proof, so to avoid breaking it I made this brilliant sheltering mechanism using a brolly, a belt, plenty of duck tape, and a cotton-bud. It was a touch of engineering genius. It didn’t make me look like the coolest fella on the pitch but it kept me dry.
(i apologise that the video is on its side, dont know how to change it, but you get the message)
At half time I waited in the changing room for the coach’s team talk, however I couldn’t stop the camera from steaming up, so I filmed the tea ladies, Peg and Pam, instead. Second time kicked off and I had gathered all the footage I needed so it was now just a case of filming the rest of the game. I had always thought it would be an amazing job to film football matches, and dreamt of one day filming at old Trafford itself. But I found it so hard not to get involved, at one stage the linesman made a shocker so I invited the ref over to look at the replay. I could never film united or England playing, I wouldn’t get anything on camera, I would be to busy cheering. It was so hard watching fellow players battling it out without me. I hate not playing football as it is, but to be watching it knowing I could play if I wanted to, was agony.
Alt-sw: home
16 years ago
1 comment:
This makes an interesting read. You could have put in links to the football club, any football sites in general, photos of the club etc. This is what is needed in a blog.
Post a Comment