Saturday, 16 May 2009

YR2 – ORGANISING AN EVENT – HOSTING “YOUR MEDIA, YOUR FUTURE”

As expected, it was an early start on the morning of the event. I wasn’t nervous or anything. We all had our own jobs to do. Mine was to sit at the front desk and be stills photographer, both jobs that didn’t really require much preparation. I did need to make a delegates list so that we knew who exactly was coming. This actually turned out to be quite pointless. Only half the people signed in, it didn’t help that everyone was pointed our way all at the same time, leaving a massive cue throughout the reception area. This just made things quite stressful for me and Kate who had to try and get roughly 40 bored students to sign in, sign the release form, take their food ticket, find their name tag, organise them into pairs, and give them their questionnaires. We could tell people were getting very bored standing around.








After getting most of them signed in, all we had to do was observe them filling out the questionnaires and making sure nothing went wrong with the equipment. Whilst doing this, we didn’t get the best feedback from the students. Walking down the hall me and Aleicia over heard a student commenting on the question “have you found the event entertaining?” for which he responded “at the moment, f*** no”. We got the impression that most of them had similar feelings about how things were going. It didn’t help that half an hour was scheduled for them to finish their questionnaires, when pretty much all of them had finished after ten. It was for this reason we tried to get Sam to hurry the speakers into finishing their breakfast and get started. They were keeping to the schedule, but couldn’t see how bored the audience were getting, so we had to try and get things started early.









After everyone was in the performance space and sat down, there wasn’t much need for anyone to be out near reception, though someone did need to supervise the equipment. As I had to take the photos, I managed to get out of supervising, which I was more than happy with. I was looking forward to hearing from the speakers. Things got quite hard taking photos. The lighting was pretty bad in the performance area so the camera had difficulty focusing. I managed to take a good few pictures. I tried to get pictures of the speakers as soon as they stood up, this way I could turn my attention to what they were saying and enjoy the event as a member of the audience.

2 comments:

Kim Brooke said...

4 x photos, 1 screen grab. Interesting description and opinion but again no links. This will adversely affect your marks. Please put some in. One of the main ingredients of blogs are the links so people can extend their knowledge and interest as they read.

Kim Brooke said...

3 x relevant links