were many aspects of this form of music that was to be taken into consideration when creating my own soundscape composition. I had to develop a piece of audio which would install an image in the listener’s mind of a specific scenario, activity, or environment.My composition was based on a hobby of mine that I find relaxes me and gives me something to do when I’m bored. Drawing is something that takes imagination, patience and good observation. It’s something that everybody can relate to since childhood. Because of this I think that listeners will be able to find it easy to recognise the journey I will be taking them on.
It starts off with the preparation, rustling of paper, pencils rolling about the table. After pulling the chair closer into the table, the drawing begins. Pencil marks are made on the paper followed by smudging and blowing off shavings from the eraser. At the beginning of the drawing you hear steady breathing. This is because the person, at this moment in time, is fairly relaxed. As time goes on sounds occur that would begin to agitate an artist, for example, creaking of chairs, coughing, a ticking of a clock which speeds up to symbolise the artists impatience. All these sounds become more dense and faster until it all becomes too much for the artist to concentrate. When all these sounds reach a climax they stop and the room falls silent. The artist walks to the kitchen, pours a glass of water and returns to his table. Now having relaxed, the artist takes a deep breath and finishes the work he started.
I think my composition achieves the element of being recognisable by the listener. This may be because I have used nothing but found sounds in the piece. I had originally planned on adding a high pitched flat line for the part where the artist is starting to become overwhelmed. This abstract sound, I feel, could have been used as everybody can relate to, at sometime or another, having had ringing in their ears.
Being a keen, amateur artist myself, I hope to give the listener an insight into the problems that sometimes occur when I’m trying to create my very own masterpiece and how I would overcome those barriers. I hope it illustrates a healthy way of looking at life itself, that when your down or think your stuck in a certain situation or state of mind. Take a time out. Look at life. And do what ever it is you have to do to continue creating your masterpiece, be it a drawing or happiness itself.
1 comment:
A very interesting read and a good blog. This must be an assignment from BC1002 or 3. The description of how an artist works is very illuminating and I'd like to hear the finished piece one day. Good image.
Post a Comment